Question: Good evening! I am a kindergarten teacher, the second day I work in the younger group (age 3 years old), I can’t get the kids to leave the toilet on time, change clothes, everyone runs around the group. And screaming, I screaming, my head hurts from him. This is not an option, I getting aggressive.
Can apply the watch method? While the sand is running, should the child have time? How to make children hear my words, react?
The second teacher screams very much, children respect her. But I think this is not my method, I like the profession of a teacher, and I want to start getting organized children. Tell me! Olya. Thank you in advance.
Answers Lyubov Goloshchapova, child psychologist:
First of all, more self-confidence. So you write great that you do not want to pursue discipline by aggressive methods. Indeed, screaming is not a method. And screaming respect is not earned. The cry of an adult, a large and strong person, can most likely cause fear in a baby. A frightened child will be obedient for some time - a very quick and simple way to achieve discipline. Unfortunately, its “simplicity” negatively affects the health of children, the atmosphere in the group, the self-esteem and psychological comfort of the educator himself.
For such a person as I see you, it can be much better positive and respectful method. I will begin with a question for you: what do you do with your soul and passion? What you are interested in, what you like to do, or what you are forced to do is unknown for what? If you are interested in children - they will turn mountains, and do not look that they are such little things. Taking at least your hourglass idea is just a great move! Beat it well so that the kids become really interesting ... Then they will not only hear you. Non-standard teacher moves, creativity, fiction, imagination - and the children themselves will literally look into your mouth, because it’s interesting what kind of new games and entertainments you came up with for them!
I suppose that you still need some time. Children are accustomed to their old teacher, accustomed to screaming, perhaps they don’t even know what could be different in the garden. Perestroika in children, thank God, is fast. Your task is to keep abreast, sensitively monitor changes in the group, make adjustments to your behavior on the go, adapt and be as open and sincere as possible. Children appreciate this unusually highly. If you do not like something in children's behavior, simply and calmly speak about it in terms that are clear to the child. And if you like it, be sure to say it! Do not miss a single opportunity to praise the children, if there is a reason for this.
About the attitude to oneself, as to the educator. Experience in your business means a lot, and it will quickly be added to you every day. But still more important is your attitude to work, to children, your vision of the role of the educator as a friend, teacher, assistant - first of all, respect for children and for yourself. You will succeed, every day celebrate your successes and praise yourself, do not be shy. What did not work out today will certainly work out tomorrow or in a couple of days. Do not rush things. And remember - everything will be the way you want it. And if for the first few days (or, say, a week) the children run around the group in some turmoil - you see, this is not at all scary, the main thing is that mutual understanding and mutual respect will soon be achieved.
How to organize communication between children
in small groups
(Cheat sheet for educators)
Ways to unite children in small groups
The unification of children in small groups can be based on spontaneous associations of children and on the use of special techniques of unification in small groups.
The formation of small groups can go in different directions:
- the use of spontaneous children's associations (children play themselves in any groups and go to the lesson in them),
- Association of children in small groups of their own free will and choice (at the suggestion of the educator, children find comrades to work together),
- the formation of small groups according to some common characteristic, similarity, life situations, actions (children choose for themselves or the teacher sets a certain attribute),
- Association in subgroups based on visual material (small handouts or cut images),
- the creation of small groups through the formation of pairs, triples, fours, sixes in a common cause (the child does his work or part of the common, and then they come together to work together).
The choice of method for combining children into groups depends on:
- children's skills to communicate and agree with each other,
- level of formation of arbitrary behavior,
- lesson content
- the number of children and small groups.
When combining children into small groups: children can stand, sit on chairs, on a carpet in a circle or randomly. The educator can present the necessary material on a tray (in a box, bag, chest) or lay it out (scatter) on a table (on the floor).
Options for combining children into small groups
Association of children in small groups according to their wishes, similarities, life situations
The teacher offers the children to unite in small groups of 3-6 people, at their request (who wants to be with whom).
You can unite at will, but at the same time, subject to certain conditions, for example, to assemble like this:
- so that there are girls and boys (or only girls, or only boys),
- so that everyone is the same (different) growth,
- so that children have something of the same (different) color, size, shape of the eye, hair, bows, socks, dresses, shoes,
- so that everyone has something silk, wool, soft, light, etc.
- sit at the tables by the number of chairs at each table,
- split into 2-4 equal or approximately equal parts,
- get together in a group (with your friends, with whom you live near, with whom you sleep near in kindergarten, with whom you sit at the dinner table, with whom you most like to play (sculpt, draw, do),
- get together in a group by your favorite flower, toy, book, etc.,
- unite for those who have a brother or sister, cat, dog, bicycle, etc.
Association of children by word, movement, action.
Reliance on the calculation of children in order
Children are calculated in order or in turn call something. For example, one word is uttered: counting machine, days of the week, seasons, traffic light colors, serial number, name of fingers, objects, animals, birds, vegetables, fruits, name of fairy tales, books, etc.
The teacher offers children:
- pay for 1-4 (depending on the number of groups) and get together in the company by serial number,
- name the days of the week, part of the day, month, seasons and join the company,
- name 3-4 colors along the chain, names of animals, plants, insects, modes of transport, vegetables, fruits, etc.,
- show different movements or actions, repeating them in the same order.
Subgrouping on cutting material
The teacher offers the children to take one piece of postcards, pictures, or any other material and get together in the company in suitable parts, so that the whole is obtained.
You can invite children to practice while laying out the whole of the parts. For example, the teacher scatters parts of postcards on the floor, and the children take one part at a time and find who has parts of the same card and gather in groups, folding the card.
The material may be:
- cutting postcards or any other pictures, objects,
- geometric shapes cut into pieces (different in name, but the same in color and size, or the same in name, but different color and size, or the same in name, size, but different color, or the same in name, color and size, but cut to a different number of parts),
- small plot pictures, objects of contour image, shreds of fabric of different or the same shape and color, ribbons, shoelaces, braid,
- large posters, paintings, drawings of children.
Association of children in subgroups in separate subjects,
united by one name (sign)
The teacher offers the children to take one item and find one who has an item suitable for him. Then they gather in small groups, discussing by what grounds they came together.
For example, children take pictures of animals, birds and fish one at a time and find who else has animals, birds, fish. 6 people gather in the company. They can tell other children why they came together or other groups can guess or learn from them through questions.
Material: individual small items that can be combined by name or by any attribute into one group.
The number of items corresponds to the number of children in the group, and they can be divided into 3-4 groups according to their characteristics (depending on the number of small groups):
- geometric figures of the same size and color, but of a different name (6 circles, squares, triangles in red),
- the same size and name, but different colors (6 blue circles, 6 red, 6 green),
- the same color, but different sizes (6 large triangles, 6 small, 6 medium red),
- the same name, but different size and color (6 large blue squares, 6 medium red squares, 6 small green squares),
- small toys or pictures of animals, birds, fish, insects, etc.,
- models or silhouette images of vegetables, fruits, trees, flowers, etc.,
- household items, clothes, shoes, dishes, cloth, transport.
Association of children in small groups through the formation of couples,
triples, fours, sixes
The teacher offers the children an individual task and after it is completed, the child finds a companion with whom he can exchange what he has done and unite for further collaboration and conversation.
Then each pair finds itself another couple or two and, thus, creates a small group that is able to continue further work.
- Each child draws a story from his picture and tells it to someone in the group. Then they can combine their stories into one and find another one or two pairs to compose a common story. The groups choose some interesting form of presenting their story to others and tell or beat it,
- make up stories: about your favorite toy, book, movie (video film), literary or fairy-tale hero, about your hobbies, interests, about your house, parents, family, about pets, birds, fish, etc.,
- draw a picture, make an applique, craft from natural or waste material, sculpt on a certain topic (or without it) and find friends for further work,
- make a sentence or a word and find with whom to combine it and write something. For example, children in pairs draw vegetable beds on individual boards, line them up and get one common garden bed. Consider, consider, compose.
“Secrets” - the teacher whispers the word “make-believe” to each child’s ear and hands them out, offering to share as follows on the company:
- by the first sound
- by the last sound
- by the number of syllables in a word.
Use of handout - stripes with words. If you correctly share it with companies, you can read a proverb, a saying, a line from a poem, etc.
Dividing into companies using your name:
- so that there is a certain sound in the name,
- so that the ball’s name has a certain letter.